At St Lawrence we are committed to working in partnership with christian organisations and churches across the world to participate in God’s mission to all nations. Our World Church Committee seeks to promote awareness and understanding of God’s call to mission, as well as to build links with a range of individuals, projects and organisations in other parts of the world.
As a church we provide both prayer and financial support to ministries in Chile, Africa, Nepal, Pakistan and the Dioceses of Dornakal in Southern India (the link Diocese for the Diocese of Gloucester), through mission agencies CMS, Crosslinks and Scripture Union. Visits by some of our mission partners to our church, as well as visits by members of our congregation to our mission partners, have challenged and encouraged us. We particularly partner with:
- Daniel and Ellelein Kirk are involved in church-planting ministry in Valparaiso, Chile. Their work focuses on young professional families, students, and leadership training. We were blessed and strengthened by the Kirk family joining us for their furlough in 2016.
CMS in Nepal:
- Ram Prasad Shrestha, Director of the National Mission Commission of Nepal, is involved in training and equipping missionaries. Currently planning is underway and funding needed to build a new training centre. In 2013 a group of 13 parishioners visited Ram Prasad in Nepal to see first hand what ministry is like for him and to find out more about how we can better support the work he is doing.
- Danishmand Wasti, National Director of SU Pakistan. The SU ministry is primarily trying to reach children and young people through Bible reading notes and holiday camps.
Dioceses of Dornakal Southern India:
- Bishop Prasada Rao and his wife, Sunanda run the Shriver Memorial High School for the Deaf. In this society deaf children struggle with few opportunities. Here at this school they have many opportunities to learn and grow and the staff are able to witness their faith in Jesus and love for others daily. Have a look at some recent pictures taken on a visit to Dornakal by Bishop Rachel here.
- We support a theological student in Africa studying under the BEST scheme (Bursaries Enabling Strategic Training) – preparing key church leaders for future ministry in growing churches.